Monday, January 14, 2008

Our Apartment




Here is our living room. We have some good channels like MTV and movies, except everythings dubbed in Italian... so its pretty funny. We have hardwood floors in our bedroom as well as here in the living room, which is quite the luxury in Italy! It helps to keep the room warm. The rest of the place just has terracotta tiles, very cold! Oh, and although we have a washer in our apartment, we don't have a dryer... and pretty much no one in Italy has a dryer. But at least we have a sweet drying rack :)



Here is our bedroom. I share a room with Amanda, my bed is the one nearest the wall with a picture of NYC above it. We have a nice view from our window of the surrounding neighborhood and a basketball court below. We also each have a desk and a closet for our clothes.

(Below is a look at our bedroom desks and closets)






This is our bathroom. Soooooo much nicer than the hostel's "bathroom." We have a tub and a shower head, only the shower head isn't attached to the wall, it's hand held... so it makes for an interesting shower at times. The toilet is kind of awkward to go to the bathroom on though because the bidet is right across from it!








Here is our hallway. The front door is right behind me taking the picture. And on the right (not shown in picture) is our bedroom. On the left, across from our bedroom door (also not shown) is the living room. Then up ahead to the right is the bedroom door to our other roommates, Bridget and Jill. And straight ahead is our bathroom door. Then to the left of that is our cozy kitchen. And here in the hallway we have a nice little rack for our coats.... oh how cute!

And here is our kitchen. The fridge isn't shown, but it's about as big as I am. Unfortunately no dishwasher, but we do have an oven! We tried cooking a big dinner for a bunch of people Friday night, but as it turns out we are anything but chefs. I tried to make these instant mashed potatoes, but they turned out like babyfood...eww.
We're also just down the road from the supermarket. So, when we went to get some groceries for the dinner it was a little nerve racking, not knowing what to expect. They had most things that they do in America, only everything is in Italian so I just did a lot of guessing by pictures. I found Frosted Flakes though, so thank goodness! And then I found the fresh fruit, ymmmmm. So I had my banana's at the checkout line and was trying to fit in acting like I knew what was going on. Then she held up the banana's and said something to which I replied with a nervous, "Huh, what? Sorry?" Come to find out, you have to weigh your fruits and vegetables and print out a scanning sticker for the cashier. Dumb me failed to see that when I originally got the fruit. So then after some charades I figured it out and ran back to the scale, got the sticker and then ran back to the line. All the while Italians giving me glares and muttering things I hope to never find out. Needless to say, I am still summing up the courage to go back grocery shopping tonight, wish me luck!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This is so amazing for you!!! I LOVE reading your blog, Yen, I feel so much more cultured! I had no idea they have stickers for fruit at the grocery store, I mean its genius, why don't we have those here?? And coffee at the bar?? Yes!! Haha I'm so glad you are having fun!! Keep taking pictures! xoxoxo Miss you! - Rach