Thursday, January 17, 2008

My 21st Birthday :)

As I write this now I am no longer a 20 year old youngin', but am instead an ancient age of 21. Oi vey, how did time fly so fast?

The day (Tuesday, Jan. 15th) started off nicely with a bounding happy birthday from my roommates at the stroke of midnight. After a peaceful sleep I woke to a warm shower and a hair dryer! School went well... and of course people wishing me a "happy birthday" made the day even better. Then we made plans to eat dinner at a chinese restaurant, something that many people said they craved. However, after attending La Maruglia I am pretty sure no one will be wanting Chinese food for the rest of their time here. Everyone showed up and we enjoyed great conversation and.... interesting food. We got fried rice, which wasn't fried, lemon chicken that tasted like pure lemon and fried chicken that tasted like rubber. Ymmm.

However, I do have to say that although this place knew nothing of what sweet and sour chicken is supposed to taste like, they sure do know how to do dessert. For my birthday dessert I got fried nutella. (Apparently they love frying things there) Although this may sound disgusting, it taste DEVINE! It's like the angels in heaven got bored one day and decided to invent something for humans to get a glimpse of heaven. If you have never had it, I can really only do it justice by attempting to describe its taste as an elephant ear with Nutella spread over it. So good!

Then we went back to our apartment and busted out some music. I also got to talk to my mom and dad, which was great! My dad called after dinner though while I was at my apartment, so I excused myself and went into my bedroom. When I finished the phone call and tried to get out of my room though I found myself unable to get out! (The door was being held shut by people) Finally I flung the door open to find the entire apartment dark and eerie. Seeing a faint glimmer from the kitchen I made my way down the hall and to my surpsie everyone was there holding a cake with candles glowing upon it! They all sang me happy birthday and I got to make a wish and blow the candles out. It was exactly what I need to make the night perfect. Nothing like friends and cake to complete a fabulous day.

Turns out my roommates had made the cake the day earlier and hid it in the fridge... obviously I was oblivious to this. But the night was fun, delicious wine, fantastic cake and hilarious attempts to recreate the Willenium CD. All in all I am pleased with life!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah man, Nutella... I miss that stuff. They have it in the USA but it tastes different... If you get the chance, try a Milch Schnitte if they have them in your area. Made by the same company, Ferrero.

I saw your pic of the kitchen, the washing machine takes me back. I forgot how long those things took, like 1.5 hrs on a load, and they hold SO LITTLE!

Happy B-Day btw.

Mom said...

Hi Honey! I love reading your blog, I can hear your voice and that makes me smile, sometimes even laugh out loud on your experiences! Hope you're feeling 100%! Love you very much, Mom

Ginny said...

Hey Jen this is Ginny Bailey...Happy belated birthday!!! I love reading your blog I feel like you are just sitting there talking and telling a story....have fun and be safe! Love,g

Debbi said...

Ahhhhh, I hate that I missed your 21st!!! I'm so proud of you and so happy for you and thrilled that you are experiencing my family's history!! If you get down to Bari, I do have relatives there, use the name Ditomaso and see what happens!! Kisses from your "favorite" aunt!!